Pio Cesare L’Altro Chardonnay 2021

Pio Cesare L’Altro Chardonnay 2021

  • £19.00
    Unit price per 
Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.

Region: Langhe, Piemonte Italy

Vintage: 2021

Bottle size: 75cl

Grape: Chardonnay

ABV: 13%

Full of character and intensity with lovely citrus and apple pie notes. It is full-bodied, rounded with pleasant acidity on the finish.

The grapes for this wine come exclusively from the family’s vineyards; in the Barbaresco region in Treiso (Cascina Il Bricco), in the Barolo area in Serralunga d’Alba (Colombaro Vineyards) and in Trezzo Tinella (Bossania Vineyards). 75% is fermented in stainless steel tanks and the remaining 25%, on its lees in new French oak barriques where the wine remains for five months.

This historic family-owned estate is named after its founder Cesare Pio, who established the business in 1881. The winery is based in Alba, in the heart of Piemonte and is now run by Federica Boffa and Cesare Benvenuto, the fifth generation of the family. Pio Cesare developed Barolo’s reputation overseas in the 1950s by being one of the first producers to export the wine to the UK. The founder’s great grandson Pio Boffa was deeply convinced of the importance of cultivating and growing owned land to produce high quality wines and played a key role in the acquisition of vineyards in the same locations where Cesare Pio used to buy his grapes from. Today Pio Cesare owns 70 hectares in the hills of Barolo and Barbaresco and makes wines in a style that manages to balance the best of the old with the best of the new.